Note: Links with green underlines are shopping links and will open in a new window.
What Is A Nord Fork? - Page 1 of 2
A Nord Fork (sometimes spelled "nordfork") is a device that fits behind the head of a calf to help hold it while the ground crew works (vaccinates, castrates, brands, etc.) the calf.
To use a Nord Fork a mounted rider ropes a calf by the heels then drags the calf past the ground crew. As the calf goes by, one of the ground crew members slips the Nord Fork behind the calf's head. As the heeler continues to drag the calf a rope and inner tube tied to the Nord Fork and staked into the ground tighten. When the rope and inner tube are tight, the heeler quits dragging. The heeler continues to hold the heel rope as the calf is worked, and the Nord Fork holds the front end.
Below: A Nord Fork. The part of the Nord Fork in the man's right hand goes behind the calf's head. The part in the man's left hand goes in front of the calf's head.
When the ground crew has finished working the calf the Nord Fork is easily slipped off, then the heeler releases the heels to free the calf. Using a Nord Fork eliminates the need to rope the calf's head or to put a rope on its front legs.
Pictures Of A Nord Fork In Use
Below is a Nord Fork tied to about 8 feet of rope that is then tied to an inner tube that is staked into the ground.
The man on the left side of the photo is holding a Nord Fork and waiting for the heeler on the bay horse to bring the calf by him.
Putting the Nord Fork behind the calf's head as it goes by.
This is a close-up of the photo immediately above, showing the Nord Fork going behind the calf's head.
What Is A Nord Fork? (You are on page 1 of 2)
- Page 1
- Go to page 2
Nord Hill, Inventor Of The Nord Fork
The Nord Fork was invented by Nord Hill of Taber, Idaho. A cattle rancher for more than 29 years, Mr. Hill got the idea for the fork in 1991 while watching his son rope calves. As he watched the calves pass by with their heads in the air he came up with the idea of the Nord Fork to shorten the time each calf is worked and to make handling easier on the calves.
You might also like...
- Attach A Leather Rope Strap
- Bridle A Horse
- Buy Cowboy Stuff On eBay
- Care For A Silk Wild Rag
- Care For Your Felt Cowboy Hat
- Care For Your Saddle Pad Or Blanket
- Close A Gate With A Chain Latch
- Estimate Cattle Age By Their Teeth
- Estimate A Horse's Weight
- Estimate Western Cinch Size
- Fishtail Braid Your Horse's Tail
- Flatten Cow Horn
- Hydro Dip A Cow Skull
- Make A Collapsible Wood Saddle Rack
- Make A Flag Boot Out Of A Horn
- Make Homemade Hoof Conditioner
- Make Homemade Horse Fly Spray
- Measure A Horse's Girth
- Measure A Horse's Height
- Measure A Western Saddle Seat
- Put A Horn Knot On Your Rope
- Put A Speed Burner On A Honda
- Recognize Common Horse Colors
- Recognize Common Horse Face Markings
- Saddle A Horse
- Stop A Saddle From Squeaking
- Take Horse Pictures
- Tell A Boy Cow From A Girl Cow
- Tie A Honda
- Tie A Horse
- Tie A Quick Release Knot
- Tie A Stopper Knot
Tie a stopper knot for the end of a rope,
or a metal, rawhide, or plastic honda
- Tie A Stopper Knot For A Honda
Tie a stopper knot for a tied honda
- Tie A Wild Rag Knot
- Trim A Bridle Path
- Turn Blevins Buckles Over
- Turn Western Stirrups
- Understand Leather / Hide Thickness
- Weigh A Horse and Optimize Rider Weight
- Whiten Bone
- Wrap A Saddle Horn With Rubber
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
Link To This Page
If you found this page useful or interesing and would like to link to it from your own website or blog, you can use the small code snippet below to make a link. Thanks!
Use ctrl+C in Windows or command+C on a Mac to copy the link.
Below: Like and share this page on Facebook!