What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
The "nasolacrimal duct" is a tear duct that drains through an opening in a horse's nose.
In horses of typical anatomy the nasolacrimal duct drains tears from the corner of the horse's eye, down the tube-like nasolacrimal duct, and out through an opening at the bottom of the nose.
Though small and sometimes difficult to see, this opening is often visible to the naked eye inside the horse's nostril.
Below: The yellow arrow is pointing to the nasolacrimal duct inside the left nostril of a horse.
Problems With The Nasolacrimal Duct
If a horse's eye tears excessively the problem may be a nasolacrimal duct that is blocked by debris, inflammation, or scar tissue, or that has been damaged. Less commonly, a horse may have a congenital condition in which there is not an opening for the nasolacrimal duct in the nostril.
These conditions usually result in excessive tearing or matter in the eye since there is nowhere for the fluid to drain. Fortunately, these conditions are often easily treatable.
Below is a photo of a young mare who was born without an opening in her nostrils for her nasolacrimal ducts (this condition was present on both sides of her face).
Surgery was performed to create openings, then a small tube was inserted the entire length of her nasolacrimal ducts to hold the new openings open until they healed. Excess tubing was brought out the top (at the eyes) and bottom (at the nose) of the nasolacrimal ducts then stitched to her face to keep it in place. When the surgically created openings were healed, the tubing was removed.
Below: A mare after surgery on her nasolacrimal ducts. She made a full recovery.
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are 8 Dumb Things To Say To A Horse Lover?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is The History Of The Modern Rodeo Bucking Chute?
- What Is The History Of The One-Hand Bareback Rigging?
- What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- What Is A Slick Fork Saddle?
- What Is A Spur Ledge?
- What Is A Swell Fork Saddle?
You Might Also Like