What Do The Xs In A Cowboy Hat Mean?
Most cowboy hats - both felt and straw - come with a label or tag describing the quality of the hat by using the letter "X" as a rating system.
Typically, the more Xs a cowboy hat has the higher quality the hat is, at least according to the hat's maker.
Below: A felt cowboy hat.
Why The X System Can Be Confusing, Part 1
Even though rating the quality of a felt or straw cowboy hat by using Xs is common, there isn't an industry wide standard for its use.
This means that the "X" system is a relative rating of quality a manufacturer uses for their own line of hats, and their quality rating may or may not be comparable to another hat maker's.
For example, if a hat maker rates a hat they make as a 3X it may, or may not, be of the same quality as a 3X hat made by someone else.
Below: A smashed straw cowboy hat. According to the lady in the photo who is a friend of ours, the hat popped right back into shape.
From Etsy. Article continues below.
Why The X System Can Be Confusing, Part 2
Not too many years ago the X rating system for cowboy hats applied to felt cowboy hats only. At that time the Xs indicated the amount of beaver felt content in a hat: The more Xs a hat had, the more beaver felt was used in its making.
However, this old standard is no longer true. Today a great variety of cowboy hats are rated or described by using the X rating system, but they can be made of a variety of materials such as felt (regardless of whether or not it's beaver felt), straw, or others.
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Of The Biggest Wild West Robberies?
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are 8 Dumb Things To Say To A Horse Lover?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Fencing Options?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is Deworming Your Horse?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is The History Of The Modern Rodeo Bucking Chute?
- What Is The History Of The One-Hand Bareback Rigging?
- What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flehmen Response?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- What Is A Slick Fork Saddle?
- What Is A Spur Ledge?
- What Is A Swell Fork Saddle?
You Might Also Like