Horse and Mule Population In The USA: 1900-1960
Below is a graph representing the number of horses and mules in the United States of America from 1900-1960.
The drastic drop in numbers is attributed to the mechanization of America where the widespread use of machinery replaced horses and mules for power.
As you can see in the graph, for the period of 1900-1960 the population hit its high in 1920 with a combined population of horses and mules of over 25 million. The low was in 1960 with a population of just over 3 million - a drop of over 22 million horses and mules in just 40 years.
The current estimated number of horses in the United States is just approximately 9.2 million. This figure represents the horse population only, and does not include mules and/or ponies. It also does not include horses living on federal lands or maintained in government holding facilities.
Source for the above graph and other information:
What Is / Are...
- What Are 5 Of The Biggest Wild West Robberies?
- What Are 5 Reasons Horse Trailer Lighting Matters?
- What Are 8 Dumb Things To Say To A Horse Lover?
- What Are Chestnuts and Ergots?
- What Are Cowboy Chinks?
- What Are Ermine Spots?
- What Are Horns?
- What Are Horse Blood Marks?
- What Are Horse Vaccines and How Do They Work?
- What Are Horse Whiskers?
- What Are Leads?
- What Are The Parts Of A Western Saddle?
- What Are Saddle Rigging Positions?
- What Are Some Fencing Options?
- What Are Some Horse Fencing Basics?
- What Are Some Interesting Horse Facts?
- What Are Some Interesting Charts and Graphs With Horse Information?
- What Are Some Options For Temporary Horse Fencing?
- What Are Slobber Straps?
- What Are Synthetic Saddles Made Of?
- What Are The Rodeo Catch Pens?
- What Are The X's In A Cowboy Hat?
- What Are The Three Legal Head Catches?
- What Are Wolf Teeth?
- What Is The Angle System For Branding?
- What Is A Bosal?
- What Is A Bull Riding Vest Made Of?
- What Is Deworming Your Horse?
- What Is A Domain Name?
Why would I need one for my farm or ranch even if I don't have or want a website?
- What Is A Fifth Wheel Trailer Hitch?
- What Is Flag and National Anthem Etiquette At A Rodeo?
- What Is Floating A Horse's Teeth?
- What Is Freeze Branding?
- What Is Freeze Branding......What Do Horse Freeze Brands Look Like?
- What Is A Galvayne's Groove?
- What Is A Gooseneck Trailer Hitch?
- What Is A Headstall?
- What Is The History Of The Modern Rodeo Bucking Chute?
- What Is The History Of The One-Hand Bareback Rigging?
- What Is The Nasolacrimal Duct In Horses?
- What Is A Pony Express Mochila?
- What Is Hermann Oak Leather?
- What Is Larvicidal De-Worming?
- What Is The Flying Gallop?
- What Is The Mark Out Rule?
- What Is A Nord Fork?
- What Is The Rodeo Return Gate?
- What Is Rotational Grazing?
- What Is A Slick Fork Saddle?
- What Is A Spur Ledge?
- What Is A Swell Fork Saddle?
You Might Also Like